Brisket is always a favorite at Passover season. In fact my family would always prepare a roast brisket for the Passover Seder. Here is the recipe my grandma used, my mom used, and now I use.
1 whole beef brisket (8 pounds)
10 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
2 yellow onions, sliced
6 carrots, sliced
32 ounces tomato puree
2 cups beef stock
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a sauté pan on high for 2 minutes and sear the brisket on each side for 3 minutes.
- Place sliced onions and carrots on the bottom of a large roasting pan and set the brisket on top with the fat side up.
- Coat the brisket with the smashed garlic, tomato puree, and salt and pepper to taste. Then add the beef stock.
- Cover pan and cook the brisket for 3 hours at 350°F.
- When meat is done, remove from pan and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Slice the meat against the grain in ¼-inch slices and serve with the onions and carrots.
- Reduce remaining tomato broth till thick and pour over the meat, and serve.
Yield: 12 to 16 servings