For the Matzah Balls:
2 tablespoons chicken fat (substitute oil if you can’t find fat)
2 tablespoons soup stock or water
1 cup matzah meal (buy it at the store)
½ teaspoon salt
- Beat eggs slightly with fork in a bowl.
- Add chicken fat, salt, and water.
- Add matzah meal gradually until it thickens.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes in a covered bowl. This will allow the matzah to absorb the liquid and make it easier to use.
- Scoop out portions of the matzah ball mixture with a standard ice cream scoop and with wet hands, form into balls.
- Fill a medium-sized stock pot half way with water and bring to simmer on medium heat.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
Yield: 16 matzah balls
For the Chicken Soup:
1 chicken (5 pounds), quartered
2 medium size onions, diced
6 carrots, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
water to cover
2 tablespoons salt
- Peel onions and carrots and wash celery and cut all vegetables into ½-inch cubes.
- Place chicken and vegetables in large stock pot.
- Add salt and water to cover.
- Bring to boil and then lower the flame and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken parts and let cool. Remove the chicken meat from the bones and shred..
- Strain the soup of all the vegetables pieces and bring chicken stock back to a simmer.
- Add the shredded chicken to soup and keep on a low simmer.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add the matzah balls to the soup and simmer.
- Dish out soup with 1 matzah ball per serving.
Yield: 14 to 16 servings