1 package (14-ounce) sweetened shredded coconut
4 large egg whites, beaten
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup cocoa powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 340°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the coconut, sugar, orange and lemon zest, and salt.
- Beat the egg whites and add to the coconut mixture.
- Place heaping tablespoons of the mixture on the parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing the mixture 3 wide by 4 long for 12 macaroons per sheet.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until the edges start turning brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes and serve.
Yield: 12 macaroons (2-ounce cookies)