Macaroons are made every Passover season. They are unleavened and the egg whites mixed with the coconut binds the cookie together. This recipe allows the sugar to spread to the edges and caramelize. These cookies are so easy to make, yet they taste so good. For a variation, add the cocoa powder to the mixture and make chocolate macaroons.
1 package (14-ounce) sweetened shredded coconut
4 large egg whites, beaten
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup cocoa powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 340°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the coconut, sugar, orange and lemon zest, and salt.
- Beat the egg whites and add to the coconut mixture.
- Place heaping tablespoons of the mixture on the parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing the mixture 3 wide by 4 long for 12 macaroons per sheet.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until the edges start turning brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes and serve.
Yield: 12 macaroons (2-ounce cookies)